Building on the foundation of good service management
In the FITS Advanced course we build on the foundation of good service management that we laid in the FITS Practitioner course. Attendance on The FITS Advanced course is dependent on candidates having completed the FITS Practitioner course.
The FITS Advanced course is run over 3 days (2.5 days classroom work followed by the exam).
The FITS Advanced Course is concerned with your Operations Management.
Operations Management is our structured approach designed to help schools achieve operational excellence in managing and administering their ICT infrastructure. The technology comprises the network components that support the ICT services used for learning, teaching and management:
- Servers and computers
- Operating systems
- Routers, switches and firewalls
Course candidates are provided with Courseware and entrance to the examination.
The Classroom work includes case study exercises and group activities. There is also an element of evening homework involved.
At the end of the course candidates sit the FITS ICT Support in Education for Managers examination. The examination is taken online through the SQA Solar examination system. Candidates have 90 minutes to complete the examination which comprises 40 randomly generated questions from a large question bank relating to the course.
The modules are:
- Directory Services Administration
- Print & Output Management
- Storage Management
- Service Level Management
- Service Continuity Management
- Performance Monitoring
- Preventative Maintenance
- Energy Conservation
- ICT Financial Management
In the Advanced course you will learn how to:
- Design your directory service to best support your teaching and learning profile
- Manage your print and output in the most cost effective way
- Define, track and maintain data and data resources in your ICT environment
- Detect network problems proactively before users report faults
- Reduce the costs associated with the day to day operation of your ICT equipment by implementing preventative maintenance procedures
- Create and manage a service level agreement that delivers what was agreed
- Track and control the cost of ICT services and support and identify areas where a different approach might reduce costs
The benefits of implementing FITS include:
- Taking control of your ICT support function with the benefit of over 20-plus years of the development of ICT support techniques.
- Adoption of tried and tested processes that have been developed with the education environment in mind.
- Simplified and ready to use processes that can be used immediately.
- A quickstart approach to help you make the best use of time and resources available and see quick results.
- Guidance on how to separate administrative tasks and technical tasks to help you assign the most appropriate resources.
- Receiving a higher return on your ICT investment.
- Tools and guidance to help you measure technical support and identify costs and savings.
- Having a positive impact on teaching and learning experiences and protect teaching staff from having to get involved in technical support issues.
The FITS Advanced course is priced at £725 per person.